It has been said that the DJ can Make It or Break It. Tall order, for sure. The fact is that your DJ is, or should be confident enough to be in control of the longest portion of your wedding day – the reception. It affects the most number of people for the longest period of time. Add cocktails, even the wedding ceremony and the DJ could just be there longer than the chef !!!
After the wedding, surveys show that the entertainment, not the food, not the flowers, not even the dress – is what your guests remember most. That’s not to take away from these other clearly significant elements of your wedding, but, cutting corners on the DJ Entertainment is definitely not the place to compensate for over expenditures elsewhere in your wedding budget. Experienced wedding planners know this and can ensure enough money is allocated to this important service. Face it, all the vendors in the industry would like to help with your wedding and make a living doing so, but, if you can’t afford everything, make sure you do afford a great DJ Entertainer.
A good Wedding DJ is an entertainer
Notice that I say DJ Entertainer, not just DJ. You need, in fact, deserve, more than someone with a bunch of music, some equipment who can push “play.” You need someone with personality, confidence, charisma, who is organized as to be able to entertain your audience with intelligent commentary: MCing, and guide them through your agenda. Your wedding planner and immediate family will appreciate a DJ Entertainer who can operate on their own without needing to be told what to do next, all night long.
In this article, I am pleased to share with you 10 of the 150 main points that I present when meeting with Brides and Groom, for you to consider as you evaluate DJ Entertainment services for your wedding.
10 points to evaluate your wedding DJ
- CONNECT (formerly AVLA) Licensed to ensure that the music is legal, or the hall has the right to refuse to allow the DJ to even enter the facility.
- Insured – Public liability and equipment, so a problem at last week’s wedding doesn’t affect yours! Again, halls have the legal right to preclude entry.
- Professional Sound Equipment – Quality makes the music sound great, and professional gear makes it sound great all night long! Ask if your DJ understands his gear, and can explain how it works. If not, do they turn it on and hope for the best?
- On Site Backup – Even the best equipment can fail without notice, so insist that there be professional-grade, fully capable spare equipment in the room in case of any technical problem. Don’t fall for “emergency equipment on standby.” That’s not fast enough.
- Size of sound system versus size of your wedding reception – Make sure they know the size of the room, or they just proved they are guessing about your requirements and the sound will suffer as a result.
- Extensive Range of Music, and it has to be organized – having 60,000 songs is pointless. Don’t be impressed by the number, rather by the degree of organization, and specifically, how they plan to run your wedding and handle requests.
- Wedding Experience – how many years as a registered corporate business, how many weddings have they done, and can they prove it?
- Articulate and Intelligently spoken – when you meet, and you really should invest the time to meet the actual DJ, do you get the sense they could address your guests with clear engaging speech, or do they say as little as possible?
- Technical Competence – Do you get the feeling they know what they’re talking about, and can they answer all your questions without skipping a beat? There’s a difference between memorizing the manual and actually knowing what it says, and when push comes to shove, your DJ Entertainer must be a methodical problem solver, in all aspects of a wedding reception including technical matters.
- Detailed Party Plan – Do they have a detailed and organized party plan – so everything you want done has a place and a time – or is it scribbled down on a piece of paper that is likely to be misplaced long before the wedding. The DJ Entertainer should be helping you relax, not be a source of stress. If you’ve already nervous, they’re not the DJ service you need or can afford to trust on your special day.
Insist on some level of proof of each of these points, rather than simply accept that because the DJ said so, that it is true.
Please make sure you shop for quality, not just price. In the end, it’s your money, your call, and your wedding. You need to be happy, regardless of what anyone else tells you.
Why I convinced Ron to write this article on Hiring a wedding DJ
Shortly after we launched Torontoweddingbox.com I had the privilege to meet with Ron and within a minute into our dialogue, it was evident that his superior wedding knowledge more akin to a wedding planner than your average DJ. I learned more about wedding planning in a one hour dialogue that all the books I read on the subject. Ron could focus is business on wedding planning but he is passionate about DJ entertaining and that is what makes him a superior wedding DJ .
Ron taught me the wedding DJ you chose can make or break your event.
A cheaper DJ could be the most expensive mistake you make and no amount of food, alcohol, or even money at the event can fix it. A bride needs to hire someone who truly cares, can prove what they say, doesn’t claim to be the industry’s “best DJ” (there’s no contest for this) and understand how much a great DJ should be doing to guide your event to plan and beyond. Let us help you make it truly amazing, for lifelong memories of the right kind.
I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
Ron Finlay Tagline: “We Bring Experience, So You Can Take One Home”
Ron’s Core Values include Honesty, Integrity, Reliability, Responsibility, Respect and Results Focussed
Ron Finlay, B.A.Sc.,P.Eng.,WPICC
President and Entertainment Director of
Perpetual Rhythms Entertainment and Event Services
2-time Winner of the CPDJA’s National President’s Award
5-Star Rated Professional Emcee Excellence Award Winner
Wedding and Event Planning – DJ / MC Services – Conference AV and Dance Competition Audio Support – Dance Studio